If you’re like most people, every so often you look in the mirror or at your lifestyle and wish things were different. Perhaps right now you lead a sedentary lifestyle, are stuck in traffic for hours each day commuting between work and home, and are dining on fatty take-out food because you have no time to cook. You may sigh and wish you could suddenly become a fitness guru, a vegan, a marathon athlete leading an active lifestyle. But it just seems so hard.
Whether you’re contemplating making some changes for your New Year’s resolutions or just tired of being tired and feeling like there’s no way out, Laredo Emergency Room has good news. It can be easier than you think – with these active lifestyle and work out tips.
- Start small. Instead of planning to sprint for 45 minutes every day, add three brisk walks of 10 minutes apiece for five days each week. You’ll be better able to avoid injury and increase your stamina over time, leading to the energy and strength you need to tackle longer, more intense fitness routines.
- Find opportunities to add activity. Another easy way to enjoy a more active lifestyle is to find opportunities for physical activity in the everyday. Park at the far end of the lot. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Pace while talking on the phone.
- Take breaks. We can’t completely avoid seated activities, especially those of us who work in an office setting. But taking a brief, even one-minute break to stand and stretch can help improve circulation and give you a boost of energy – just what you need to feel good during the work day.
- Beat the rush hour. Instead of spending your rush hour sitting in traffic, stop by a park or gym that’s close to your place of work. Your overall time spent on commuting and your workout will be reduced, giving you more time to do other things you love.
- Take up a hobby. Who doesn’t love binging on their favorite shows? But how about trying a new hobby instead? Wood crafting. Drawing or sewing. Gardening. Playing with your kids. It can be anything that gets you off the sofa, even if it isn’t strenuous exercise. Any increase in movement adds to your overall health, and it can give you a confidence boost when you learn a new skill.
- Meditate. Sometimes just taking a quiet moment to be still and focus on your breathing and your thoughts is all you need to feel calm and refreshed. Besides, meditation has been shown to help reduce stress, improve sleep, and control blood pressure, among other health benefits.
- Drink water. Staying properly hydrated is one of the most important things you can do for your overall health. Try to drink at least six to eight glasses of water each day for a variety of benefits, including improved energy and skin health. Especially when you engage in fitness activities, you need to replace fluids lost through sweat, so plan to drink even more after exercise.
- Find healthier food replacements. Time is short for many of us, making it easier to stop by the take-out joint rather than cook healthy meals. But taking small steps can make this important change easier. Cook in big batches when you do have time and freeze the leftovers for another day. Swap out refined (white) carbohydrates for healthful whole grains. Try ground turkey for your burger instead of beef. By gradually incorporating healthier food choices like these, you’ll find that over time, your diet can make a big transformation easily.
Too often, people emerge from the holiday season overeager to overdo it – and end up suffering from injuries or even heart events. So as much as we at Laredo Emergency Room care about our community, we’d rather you stay healthy and feeling good than have to seek out emergency room treatment – and following our active lifestyle and work out tips is a great way to get going in the right direction.
For more health tips, follow us on Facebook! Laredo Emergency Room is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.