Being healthy does not only mean taking care of yourself physically, it also means taking care of yourself mentally. Do you ever get the feeling that you’re stressed out ALL of the time? You work 8+ hours a day, the kids need taking care of, the ins and outs of everyday life are dragging you down faster than you realize and trying to be healthy can take a back seat to managing the hassles.
It’s time to start thinking of the big picture of your health including mental health! When life starts to slow down over the summer and school break is in full swing, it’s the perfect time to start taking care of YOU. Here are 7 simple things you can do to give yourself the boost you deserve:
– Switching up your workouts – With the days getting brighter earlier, add walking or biking first thing in the morning to your daily routine! Either with a friend or by yourself, the combination of a fresh experience with physical activity is sure to give your mood a boost.
– Cleaning the house – Focus 5 to 10 minutes of your day cleaning or reorganizing the part of the house that you spend the most time in. Even just small amount of cleaning can help you feel like your life is less cluttered, helping lower the opportunity for anxiety and depression to creep in.
– Freshen up your summer wardrobe – New sunglasses? New beach bag or bathing suit? Go for it! Treating yourself with summer themed items will help you get in the carefree attitude. They don’t call it retail therapy for nothing!
– Plan a vacation – Summer is all about rest and relaxation, and the best way to do that is to get out of town (or just out of the house). Whether you’re taking a trip abroad or having a night at a hotel downtown, vacations can help you hit the reset button. See a new show, try some new food, get out and discover new places! New experiences equal new knowledge, and expanding your mind is an important aspect of maintaining mental health.
– Get some sun – Hey sunshine, it’s time to open up those blinds! When you wake up in the morning, walk over and pull the curtains open. It sounds like a no-brainer, but studies have shown that more sunlight can boost your happiness and energy levels!
– Do some summer reading – Whatever your preferred genre is – biographies, murder mystery, sci-fi or romance – indulging in a good read can be a much-needed daily escape! On the beach, on a park bench, in the backyard or just on the sofa, pick a few interesting titles and lose yourself.
– Make time for naps or meditation – Nothing restores your state of mind quite like a power nap. Take 20 minutes every day to lay down, or just be still and breathe. Sleep or focus on positive things in your life or the goals you’re trying to accomplish that day/week. A little daily time of being centered can manifest health benefits over longer periods of time!
For more health tips, follow us on Facebook! Laredo Emergency Room is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.